My pal Mary asked me for some suggestions for workout songs the other day, and I sent her a big list of my favorites. Then I realized making that list was a lot of effort to only show one person. So. Here, Internet!
I actually have about 600 songs I play in my car on random, and I usually just put that same list on shuffle at the gym. Inevitably, though, I end up skipping through 87 trillion slow wine-and-cheese numbers. I should probably make a playlist. But. Nah. I barely have time to put on pants.
Here is what I sent Mary, plus a few extra. Mary was highly distressed, disillusioned, confused and betrayed that I let the Biebs slip in. But what can I say? That song is catchy as a mitt, and anyone who disagrees is LYING. Try it. Your biceps will be jacked.
I find it also helps to imagine a giant, floating publishing contract while working out, or whatever else you may desire (a cheese danish, a raise, gender equality, etc...). Then, throw on the tunes, furrow your brow and run toward the giant, floating pastry/contract/money/lofty ideal.
This is not a playlist for a single workout, mind you. That would be like four hours, and if I did that every time I went to the gym, I'd look like Giselle Bundchen. Minus two feet of legs. And minus the sexy Brazilian genetics. Plus some cheeseburgers.
Right. Those songs.
1. All I do is Win - DJ Kahled (obvs)
2. A-Punk - Vampire Weekend
3. Rude Boy - Rihanna
4. Battlefield - Jordin Sparks (for slow climbing)
5. Cousins - Vampire Weekend
6. Crush Crush Crush - Paramore
7. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga
8. I Don't Wanna Be In Love - Good Charlotte
9. How Do U Want It - Tupac
10. Baby - Justin Bieber (just give in)
12. Feel Good Inc. - Gorillaz
13. Thanks for the Memories - Fall Out Boy (for running)
14. Imma Be - Black Eyed Peas
15. Remember the Name - Fort Minor
16. Anything from Girl Talk
17. Everything's Wonderful - Lily Allen
18. Bamboo Banga - M.I.A.
19. I Don't Wanna Dance - Hey Monday
20. Hey Ya! - Outkast
21. Girlfriend - Nsync with Nelly (duh)
22. Crash - Gwen Stefani
23. Get a Life - Lil Wayne
24. What you Know - T.I.
25. Tighten Up - Black Keys
26. In My Head - Jason Derulo
27. Soul Meets Body - Death Cab (for walking)
28. Through the Wire - Kanye
29. When I Get You Alone - Robin Thicke
30. Your Love is my Drug - Kesha
31. Empire State of Mind - Jay Z
32. No Hands - Wakka Flocka Flame
33. Blood Red Summer - Coheed and Cambria
34. Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
35. Like a G6 - Far East Movement
36. Leopard Skin Pillbox Hat - Beck
37. All of the Lights - Kanye
38. Express Yourself - Glee cast
39. Grace Kelly - Mika
40. Bulletproof - La Roux
41. Kanye's Workout Plan - Kanye
42. Days Go By - Dirty Vegas
43. Dead - Pixies
44. E.T. - Katy Perry
45. Burning Up - Glee cast
46. Animal - Neon Trees
47. Portions for Foxes - Rilo Kiley
48. Baby Boy - Beyonce
49. Pretty Green - Santogold
50. Like a Virgin - Glee cast
51. Dog Days are Over - Florence and the Machine
52. Rolling in the Deep - Adele
53. Hang Me Up to Dry - Cold War Kids
54. Telephone - Lady Gaga
55. There Goes My Gun - Pixies
56. White Houses - Vanessa Carlton
57. Uprising - Muse
58. I Do Not Hook Up - Kelly Clarkson
59. Super Massive Black Hole - Muse
60. Paris (Ooh La La ) - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
61. Firework - Katy Perry
62. Let the Beat Build - Lil Wayne
63. Down - Jay Sean
64. Misery Business - Paramore
65. Born This Way - Lady Gaga
Always best to end on Born This Way so you can remind yourself that, YES, you were BORN with an inner tube where your abs should be, and GOD MAKES NO MISTAKES.